Damaged Chimney Repair In Knoxville Tennessee
Four Seasons Fireplace & Chimney provides chimney sweep repair services such as flashing repair, chimney crown rebuilding, chimney relining, chimney rebuilds, chimney restoration, and more. Homeowners in Knoxville TN and the surrounding area, including Oak Ridge TN, Gatlinburg TN, and Jefferson City TN, can count on our trained, certified chimney sweeps and masonry experts to provide chimney repairs done right the first time.
Homeowners often neglect chimney maintenance, not realizing that there are numerous reasons chimney repairs become necessary. The reality is that chimneys are vulnerable to moisture, especially when they are built with highly porous bricks. Moisture is enemy number one for chimneys, and chimney repairs might also be needed due to creosote, high winds, lack of maintenance, chimney blockage, and animals.
Types of Chimney Damage
Although highly durable, chimneys eventually begin to deteriorate because of normal wear and tear. The mortar that holds masonry together only lasts about 25 years, at best, and then the masonry becomes vulnerable to moisture as the mortar begins to break and crack. Flashing is often installed incorrectly or rust develops on nails, causing roof damage from a leaky chimney. The chimney crown has an overhanging component that serves the purpose of preventing water from running down the sides of the chimney. Over time, it’s normal for the chimney crown to develop cracks and need chimney repair, whether due to harsh elements or poor workmanship. The flue liner can deteriorate over the course of time and because acids in creosote cause damage, especially when mixed with moisture.
How Can You Tell if Chimney Repairs are Needed?
It’s not always obvious that a professional chimney sweep is needed to make chimney repairs. The worst way to find out that a chimney needs maintenance is following a dangerous chimney fire or a life-threatening house fire resulting from a damaged chimney liner. The following are some of the signs that can help homeowners in Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Gatlinburg, Jefferson City, and throughout the area to realize that chimney repairs are needed:
- If you have white staining on your chimney, it is evidence that moisture has entered the chimney system. Repairs are needed in order to avoid a leaning, tottering, or collapsing chimney.
- When you build wood fires, if the smoke is getting inside of your home as much as or more than the amount going up the chimney, something is wrong and chimney repair may be needed. Possible problems include blockage in the flue caused by creosote, birds’ nests, or debris. These circumstances indicate the needed for chimney cleaning and possibly an overdue chimney inspection.
- You can hear a dripping sound in your chimney. This indicates a chimney leak, which can cause extensive interior damage to your home and exterior chimney damage.
- If a horrendous smell is coming from your chimney, it could be because an animal got in your chimney and died there because it was unable to get back out. You may need chimney cap installation, to keep animals out. If you already have a chimney cap, it may need repair.
- If you see debris around your exterior chimney, it is likely due to spalling, which means the bricks are breaking apart due to moisture intrusion and chimney repair is needed.
Contact Four Seasons Fireplace & Chimney for Chimney Repairs
There are many things that can go wrong with a chimney, and you can enjoy peace of mind knowing the trained, certified chimney sweeps at Four Seasons Fireplace & Chimney are providing maintenance and repairs. We have teams of chimney experts and masonry experts, to provide any repairs you might need in Knoxville TN or nearby cities, including Oak Ridge TN, Gatlinburg TN, and Jefferson City TN. Call us at Four Seasons Fireplace & Chimney today for quality chimney repair services.